CMC Tutoring Programs
CMC offers a variety of tutoring opportunities in the community. Both work study and non-work study positions are available. Transportation is available.
- Must be a CMC student
- Interest in working with elementary age students
- Patience and reliability is a must; Tutors must commit to a weekly schedule
- Attendance at on-campus Orientation and on-site training by teacher
America Reads/America Counts: These are federally funded tutoring programs focused on developing reading and math skills for elementary students. CMC students will serve as tutors in local Claremont elementary schools or after-school programs and will work closely with the Tutoring Director and the Director of the Center for Civic Engagement.
- Hours: 4-8 hours/week; Mon-Fri between 8:30am-4:30pm
- Working directly with a teacher in an elementary classroom or in conjunction with an after-school enrichment program; work to include specific academic work or homework help; hours at the discretion of the teacher
- Federal Work Study eligible CMC students only
Elementary School Tutoring Program: These positions are available for non-work study eligible students. Tutors will work with elementary school students either in the classroom or at an after-school enrichment program.
- Hours: 4-8 hours/week; Mon-Fri flexible between 8:30am-6pm
- Working directly with a teacher in an elementary classroom or in conjunction with an after-school enrichment program; work to include specific academic work or homework help
- Non-work study eligible CMC students
ESL Tutoring Program: These tutors will work with CMC employees requesting assistance with English language skills. Students will work with the employees on-campus after their work shift is complete. Tutoring could include academic work or functional tasks related to English language skills; plan of action to be determined between tutor and employee.
- Hours: 4-6 hours/week; tutors and employee to determine hours based on employees work schedule
- Both Federal Work Study eligible or non-work study CMC students
Upland Jr High School Healthy Start: These tutors work with students at Upland Jr High School providing academic assistance in after-school enrichment program. Tutors will work with the classroom teacher to develop an appropriate tutoring plan of action.
- Hours: Hours: 4-6 hours/week; tutors and employee to determine hours based on employees work schedule
- Both Federal Work Study and non-work study eligible CMC students