How to Apply for a Federal Direct Stafford Loan
To apply for a Federal Direct Stafford Loan, you must complete the following:
- Free Application Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Federal Direct Stafford Loan Entrance Counseling Session
- Federal Direct Stafford Loan Request Form
- Federal Direct Stafford Loan Electronic Master Promissory Note (EMPN)
To be eligible, you must be enrolled at least half-time and meet other general federal student aid eligibility requirements.
1) You can complete the FAFSA at: http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/. Our school code is: 001170.
2) Your Federal Direct Stafford Loan Entrance Counseling Session can be completed at studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/index.action. You will need your U.S. Department of Education FSA ID to successfully complete your session. Once you have completed this, the results will be sent electronically to Claremont McKenna College (CMC). You may wish to print a copy of the Rights and Responsibilities page for your records.
The federal government requires a student to participate in loan counseling prior to receiving a Federal Direct Stafford Loan. The Federal Direct Stafford Loan Entrance Counseling Session will explain various aspects of student loans, such as repayment and interest, as well as your rights and responsibilities. It concludes with a short quiz. You must answer all questions correctly in order to successfully complete the session. Login and submit the results using your Social Security Number, first 2 letters of your last name, date of birth and your federal FSA ID.
3) Complete the Federal Direct Stafford Loan Request Form and submit it to the Office of Financial Aid.
4) To complete the EMPN, you must go to https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/index.action. You will need your federal FSA ID to sign your EMPN electronically. After you sign your EMPN, electronic notification will be sent to CMC. CMC will not disburse your Federal Direct Stafford Loan unless you have completed your EMPN and Entrance Counseling. Your EMPN is valid for 10 years.