In addition to your computer, there are several things you should bring:
- Surge Protector - give yourself a few extra places to plug in as well as a little protection.
- Network cable - while CMC is almost completely wireless, those speeds are limited because of usage. We recommend that you use the wired network when you can. Bring a 20 foot Cat-5 or Cat-6 cable so you can reach a network plug anywhere in your room.
- Security cable - a Kensington type lock. This is for laptops - if you have to leave your laptop somewhere (even in your room), get a Kensington type lock to keep it secure.
- Laptop case - don't bother with the ones that come with your laptop. Go to some place like REI and get one you really like.
- Laptop Mouse - Using a track-pad all day can be a drag. Microsoft and Logitech make outstanding and inexpensive mice just for laptops.
A few things to NOT bring:
- Wireless Access Point (WAP) - your dorm is already covered and unautorized WAPs can cause interference. You will not be allowed to use a personal WAP. This especially includes Apple's Time Capsule. While this product is great for HOME use, it is a WAP and not appropriate for CMC's larger network.
- Router/Firewall - we are already behind a very robust firewall and our network is protected. Router/firewalls are not allowed on campus.