The annual event will be held on February 20 at Scripps College's Garrison Theater
TEDxClaremontColleges has finalized their speaker list for their 2016 event, which will take place on February 20th at Scripps College's Garrison Theater. The speakers will share their perspectives on the future based upon their work and lived experiences. Click here for images and bios of the following speakers:
● Melina Abdullah is a womanist scholar-activistand Professor of Pan-African Studies at CSULA.
She was among the original group of #BlackLivesMatter organizers and serves as an LA and
national chapter lead.
● Tim Amukele studies diagnostics in developing countries and is working on drone transportation
of biological samples to expand diagnostic access.
● Wendy Davis is a former Texas State Senator who entered the national spotlight during her
historic 13 hour filibuster to protest a bill that would restrict access to safe, legal abortion.
● Kevin Kantor is a spoken word poet whose piece “People You May Know” brought him to
national attention. His work aims to explore survivorship and trauma and raise queer voices.
● Martin Monti investigates what it means to be conscious and whether severely brain damaged
patients exhibit what we view as consciousness.
● Jess Peláez is cofounder of Blueprint Earth, a volcanologist, and an extreme adventurer.
● Simón Posada Fishman is a first-year student at Pomona College, a self-taught programmer, a digital artist, and a winner of the TEDxClaremontColleges Student Speaker Competition.
● Roxana Soltanzadeh is a PhD student of Economics and Political Science at Claremont Graduate
University and a winner of the TEDxClaremontColleges Student Speaker Competition.
Tickets for the full event are on sale now at newly discounted rates: $5 for Claremont Colleges students,
$25 for faculty, staff, and alumni, and $45 for the general public.
Purchase tickets and read more about the speakers at http://www.tedxclaremontcolleges.org/2016-event-1/
TEDxClaremontColleges is a volunteer-run organization consisting of students and alumni from all seven Claremont Colleges. TEDxClaremontColleges hosts an all-day conference featuring a diversity of speakers united in the spirit of “ideas worth spreading” on the campuses of the Claremont Colleges. It's our goal to provide inspiring thinkers and doers a stage to share their great ideas and an audience to hear, spread, and reinvent them. From great ideas come great conversations where our attendees can learn, think, and conceive of new ideas.