Law and Justice
Gigi Birchfield is the Managing Partner of the Southern California offices of Major, Lindsey & Africa (Los Angeles, Orange County and San Diego), and Co-Global Practice Leader for the firm's In-House Practice. Ms. Birchfield began her legal career at Paul, Hastings, Janofsky & Walker in Los Angeles, where she practiced law for six years as a real estate transactional attorney. In 1992 she joined Citicorp Real Estate, Inc., as Assistant General Counsel in its Los Angeles office, where she was responsible for supervising the legal function for all of the CREI offices in the Western Region: Los Angeles, Orange County, and San Francisco.
In January 2001, Ms. Birchfield opened the Southern California office of Major, Lindsey & Africa and was responsible for growing and managing the office from its inception. In addition to being the Managing Partner of the Southern California offices for the past 13 years, she has held various management positions such as Office Practice Leader and Regional Practice Manager (In-House), as well as her current role as Co-Global Practice Leader for the In-House group.
Ms. Birchfield’s recruiting practice has focused primarily on conducting in-house searches across industry lines, both nationwide and local, with a special emphasis on the placement of senior attorneys, including general counsels. She has also placed partners in law firms and has assisted out-of-state clients in opening Los Angeles offices.
- Major, Lindsey & Africa, Managing Partner
- Citicorp Real Estate, Inc., Associate General Counsel
- Paul Hastings, Janofsky & Walker, Associate
- Claremont McKenna College Alumni Association, Past President (current Board Member)
- Claremont McKenna College Board of Trustees, Member (ex-officio)
- Berger Institute for Work, Family and Children, Board Member
- Association of Media and Entertainment Counsel, Board Member
- Rape Treatment Center and Stuart House Support Counsel, Member
- University of California at Los Angeles (School of Law), J.D.
- Claremont McKenna College, B.A., English, Psychology (Magna Cum Laude)
Mr. Heeseman is a Judge of the Superior Court in Los Angeles County. Since his appointment in 2005, he has presided over 90 jury trials, mainly at the principal civil courthouse in Los Angeles County. From 1971 until 2005, he practiced law as a litigator, primarily with respect to commercial lawsuits.
- Los Angeles County, Judge of the Superior Court
- Assistant U.S. Attorney
- Loyola Law School, Adjunct Professor
- U.S. Army, Captain
- Claremont McKenna College Alumni Association, President
- Los Angeles Bar's Litigation Section, Chair
- Chancery Club of Los Angeles, President
- Claremont McKenna College Board of Trustees
- Claremont McKenna College Distinguished Service Award
- State of California's Judicial Council
- Ninth Circuit's Advisory Committee
- Stanford Associate
- Stanford Parents' Club
- Los Angeles Daily Journal, Legal Columnist
- Stanford University, J.D.
- Claremont McKenna College, B.A., Political Science
Paula C. Littlewood
Ms. Littlewood is executive director of the Washington State Bar association (WSBA). The WSBA is part of the judicial branch, exercising a governmental function authorized by the Washington State Supreme Court to license the state's 34,800 lawyers. The WSBA both regulates lawyers under the authority of the Court and serves its members as a professional association. In her capacity as Executive Director, she is head of the staff and serves as Secretary to the WSBA Board of Governors as well as Secretary to the Washington State Bar Foundation Board of Trustees. Prior to joining WSBA, she served as Assistant Dean at the University of Washington School of Law for five years. Before pursuing a career in law, she was a professional campaign coordinator and fundraiser in Washington State, working both on statewide candidate and initiative campaigns, as well as local legislative races.
- Washington State Bar Association, Executive Director
- University of Washington School of Law, Assistant Dean
- Telluride Mountain School, Assistant Head of School
- Washington Appleseed Foundation, President
- University of Washington Law School Alumni Association, Vice President
- Washington State Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- National Association of Bar Executives, Member
- National Conference of Bar Foundations, Member
- International Institute of Law Association Chief Executives, Member Service
- Downtown Seattle YMCA Board of Director
- Latona School Associates Board of Directors
- University of Washington School of Law, Mentor
- University of Washington, J.D.
- University of Washington, M.A., International Studies
- Claremont McKenna College, B.A., Political Science and History
- Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, Managing and Founding Partner
- Cravath, Swaine & Moore, Associate
- Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences, General Counsel
- Rose Bowl Operating Company, Director
- Brigham Young University School of Law, Instructor
- California Continuing Education of the Bar, Lecturer on Federal Practice
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Federal Courts and Practices Committee Member
- American Bar Association, Forum Committee Member
- Committee on Federal Courts, Member
- Union Internationale Des Avocats, Member
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum, Member
- Harvard University, J.D.
- Claremont McKenna College, B.A.
- Central District of California, Chief U.S. Magistrate Judge
- U.S. Attorney's Office, Los Angeles, Chief of Civil Appeals
- U.S. Attorney's Office, Los Angeles, Assistant United States Attorney
- Dewey, Ballantine, Attorney
- Berger Advisory Board, Chair
- Leo Baeck Temple, Los Angeles, Vice President and Member of Executive Committee
- Leo Baeck Temple, Los Angeles, Board of Trustees
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Executive Committee
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers, Board of Governors
- California Commission on Access to Justice, Federal Courts Committee
- Cornell University, J.D
- Claremont McKenna College, B.A.
- Accenture, General Counsel, Secretary, and Chief Compliance Officer
- Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP, Partner
- The American Lawyer, "Dealmaker of the Year" short list
- Lawdragon Magazine, Top 500 Leading Lawyers in America
- Lawdragon Magazine, Top 500 Dealmakers in America
- Claremont McKenna College Board of Trustees
- Columbia University Law School, J.D.
- Claremont McKenna College, B.A., International Relations
John B. Quinn
Mr. Quinn is the founding and managing partner of Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, a litigation firm, which is the largest in the world devoted solely to business litigation, with offices in Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, Silicon Valley, Chicago, Washington D.C., Tokyo, London, Mannheim, and Moscow. He is one of the most prominent business trial lawyers in the United States.
Suzanne H. Segal
Suzanne H. Segal is a United States Magistrate Judge for the Central District of California and will serve as the Chief Magistrate Judge for the Central District from 2012 to 2016. In her current position, Judge Segal presides over civil and criminal proceedings in federal court. Prior to serving as a Magistrate Judge, Judge Segal was an Assistant United States Attorney in the Los Angeles U.S. Attorney's Office. From 1999 to 2002, Judge Segal was Chief of Civil Appeals for that office. Prior to serving in the U.S. Attorney's Office, Judge Segal was an associate at the law firm of Dewey, Ballantine.
Trustee Julie Spellman Sweet
Ms. Sweet is general counsel, secretary, and chief compliance officer of Accenture. As general counsel, Ms. Sweet has ultimate responsibility for all legal support to Accenture, serving as principal counsel to senior leadership and the board of directors, as well as leading the company's legal organization. She also serves as corporate secretary and chief compliance officer, oversees the company's Government Relations function, and is a member of Accenture's Global Executive Committee. Ms. Sweet also serves on Accenture's Diversity Council and Corporate Citizenship Committee.