Prepare to intern: What to do before applying
- Take "Introduction to American Politics."
- Continue your study of Government/Politics; we suggest coursework on Congress or Public Policy Analysis.
- Attend the information session hosted by Dr. Elizabeth Spalding; More information can be found here.
- Read a newspaper daily, preferably The Washington Post or the New York Times online.
- Keep informed about current events.
- Review this website.
- Begin work on your résumé and have it reviewed by Career Services.
- Research possible internships using Professor Pitney's website.
- Investigate deadlines for security clearances.
- Students from Pitzer, Scripps, and Harvey Mudd have different deadlines for applying to go off-campus; contact your home external studies or off-campus study office for application procedures and early deadlines.
- Ask a professor (any faculty from the Claremont Colleges who has had you in class) for a recommendation letter at least two weeks in advance of the deadline date.
- Students from Pomona, Pitzer, Scripps and Harvey Mudd: Request a transcript from your home registrar and submit with the rest of your application.
- Complete the rest of your application and turn it in to the OCS office in Heggblade Center before 5:00 pm on the deadline date!