Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Current students can view their transcripts at any time on the portal by selecting “Unofficial Transcript” under the “Student” tab. Unofficial transcripts are not available for alumni.

Current students can order transcripts on the portal by selecting “Request Transcripts” under the “Student” tab. Alumni can order official transcripts directly from the Parchment Storefront for The Claremont Colleges. Electronically-sent transcripts are usually processed in minutes; there are also options to mail them to an address you specify, or to pick them up yourself at our office.

If you are a current student, you may obtain your own verification on the portal by selecting “Enrollment Verifications” under the Student tab. If you have special requirements for your verification, we have a webform you can fill out. Upon receipt, we are able to issue them within two business days.

If you require an Authentication Certificate (Apostille) for your diploma and/or transcript, our office can supply a notarized letter that attests to the authenticity of your CMC documents. For more information and instructions, see our Apostille Information page.

  1. Obtain registration clearance from your advisor. If your advisor is on sabbatical or unreachable, you will need to find a new advisor. We cannot clear you to register.
  2. Clear any holds you may have. You can check your holds on the portal, under “Course Schedule”. If your hold says “Business Office”, this is a financial hold; check CASHNet on the portal and see if you have a balance.

If you are eligible to add a class and it has open seats, the PERM option will not appear even if your registration appointment has not yet arrived. Otherwise, the PERM option will appear.

First, check to see whether the instructor accepted your PERM on the portal. If it was rejected or is still pending, you will not be able to add the class. If the instructor accepted your PERM but you still cannot add the class, most likely the class is full. Instructors may issue you a conditional PERM that allows you to register only if there are open seats in the class. Some courses have overflow seats, but these are also limited and instructors are not able to exceed overflow limits through the PERM system. Also, instructors may set an expiration date for your PERM; if your PERM has an expiration date that has passed, it is no longer valid.

You are allowed to pre-register in up to 4.75 units. If you want to take more, you must overload. If you earn a 10.5 GPA or better in at least 3 courses during your previous semester on campus, you automatically are eligible to enroll in an extra unit (up to 5.75 total); that privilege is extended on the first day of classes, but not before.

Yes! The team sports are all courses that can be added on the portal (Course Area: CMS Varsity Sports). Since team sports can satisfy the GE for physical education, you should register for them.

When you matriculate, you may take a placement examination in any language offered at the Claremont Colleges. If you place into the fourth semester or above, you have waived the Foreign Language GE. You may also waive the GE with a foreign language AP score of 4 or 5, or Higher Level IB score of 6 or 7; an SAT2 score of 650 or higher in French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Latin, or Spanish is accepted as well. The GE may also be waived:

  • If you went to a High School (or middle school for Chinese) taught primarily in a foreign language,
  • If you successfully completed the 10th-year exam in Hindi or another language of the Indian Subcontinent, or
  • If you obtain a certified letter from a tenured modern or classical language faculty member from another regionally accredited American college or university which attests to your ability to read, write, and speak a non-English language with native proficiency.

Note that the Foreign Literature GE cannot be waived; you must take a course to satisfy it. Watch our animated video for more information on the Foreign Language GE, or you can see our entire policy in the Registration Section of the Statement of Academic Policy.

Courses taken at any of the other Claremont Colleges during the school year automatically count as elective credit toward graduation. If you wish for a course at any of the other Claremont Colleges to satisfy a GE, major requirement, or sequence requirement, then talk to the department chair or coordinator for the requirement you are looking to satisfy. If the department chair or coordinator approves your request, forward the approval to so that your degree audit can be updated to reflect the approval.

Courses taken at any college outside of the Claremont Consortium must be approved with a Transfer Credit Pre-Approval form before you take the course. Note that the appropriate department chair must sign your form for a course to satisfy a GE or major/sequence requirement. Our entire policy on transfer credit can be found in the Statement of Academic Policy.

No, CMC does not grant transfer credit for courses taken online.

We do give credit for some AP and IB tests, and others can be used to place into upper-level courses. A full list of tests and scores that we accept is in our catalog.

You don’t have to! Turn in your Senior Thesis Topic Form by the last day to add classes, and we will register you in your thesis. If you are writing a thesis in science, you must also register for thesis through Keck Science. If you are writing a thesis in an off-campus major field, follow the instructions of the off-campus school’s thesis requirements if a thesis is required for that major; if not, follow CMC’s guidelines and turn your topic form in to us.

You can register for internships using the online form on our website. The deadline for summer internships is June 1; for internships during the school year, the deadline is the last day to add classes. You may earn a total of one academic unit from internships (excluding the Washington D.C. and Silicon Valley Internship programs).