Freshman/First-Year Student Timeline
What to accomplish as a first-year student:
- Settle in to Campus Life.
- Take General Education courses
- Begin coursework in your major
- Study - Get good grades. Your GPA is very important!
- Explore the CMC Study Abroad Website
- Pre-Med Majors - Plan Early
- Continue with advanced language study; some programs have no language pre-requisite, however, others require one through five semesters of college-level language study. With the exceptions in Asia, if the language is taught at The Claremont Colleges, a minimum of one semester of language is required. Note: First Semester language courses are only taught during fall semester at The Claremont Colleges.
- Oxford University expects applicants to have completed four or five courses in your major before applying. NOTE: Students apply a year in advance. Study at Oxford is for an academic year only. Semester-length study at Oxford is not available.
- Attend an advertised Intro to Study Abroad Meeting.
- Spring semester freshman year, make an appointment with a study abroad advisor. You can gain assistance in planning your course selection for sophomore year and, your study abroad experience.