Office of Institutional Research
Survey Information & Resources
Survey Registration, Design, and Administration
Keep in mind that CMC students, alumni, faculty and staff receive multiple requests to participate in survey research. In an effort to provide oversight of research conducted by and with CMC constituents the college has enacted the CMC Survey Policy. This policy must be adhered to by anyone conducting survey research.
Links to On-Line Survey Resources
- Best Practices for Survey and Public Opinion Research, from the American Association for Public Opinion Research.
- An adaptation and summary of Dillman’s principles for survey construction and administration by the Tobacco Control Evaluation Center at UC Davis.
- Essential Steps for Web Surveys: A Guide to Designing, Administering and Utilizing Web Surveys for University Decision-Making from the Association for Institutional Research.
- Conducting Primary Research, from the Purdue Online Writing Lab
- Sample Size Calculator by Rasoft, Inc.
- Gallup Brain: A searchable survey question bank from over 70 years of The Gallup Poll of public opinion.
- Dillman, D.A. Mail and Telephone Surveys: The Total Design Method New York: Wiley. (1978).
- Dillman, Don A., Robert D. Tortora, and Dennis Bowker. 1998. Principles for the Construction of Web Questionnaires. Technical Report 98-50 of the Social and Economic Sciences Research Center, Washington State University, Pullman, Washington.
- Dillman, Don A., Jolene D. Smyth and Leah Melani Christian. 2009. Internet, Mail and Mixed-Mode Surveys: The Tailored Design Method, 3rd edition. John Wiley: Hoboken, NJ
- Suskie, L.A. Questionnaire Survey Research: What Works? (1996) Assn. for Institutional Research; 2nd edition.