Social Networking Sites makes it easy to express yourself, connect with friends and make new ones, but please remember that what you post publicly could embarrass you or expose you to danger. Here are some common sense guidelines that you should follow when using social networking sites:
- Don't forget that your profile and forums are public spaces. Don't post anything you wouldn't want the world to know (e.g., your phone number, address, IM screens name, or specific whereabouts). Avoid posting anything that would make it easy for a stranger to find you, such as where you hang out every day after school.
- People aren't always who they say they are. Be careful about adding strangers to your friends list. It's fun to connect with new friends from all over the world, but avoid meeting people in person whom you do not fully know. If you must meet someone, do it in a public place and bring a friend or trusted adult.
- Harassment, hate speech and inappropriate content should be reported. If you feel someone's behavior is inappropriate, react. Talk with a trusted adult, or report it to the social networking site administrator or the authorities.
- Don't post anything that would embarrass you later. Think twice before posting a photo or info you wouldn't want your parents or boss to see!
- Don't mislead people into thinking that you're older or younger. If you lie about your age, social networking sites will delete your profile.