Dear CMC Community:
I hope you enjoyed a rejuvenating and productive summer.
I’m thrilled to welcome all of you back to campus, especially our extraordinary incoming class of 2019 and transfer students, our outstanding new dean of the faculty, Peter Uvin, and superb group of new faculty and coaches. We look forward to seeing you at our Convocation on Friday at 1 p.m. in McKenna Auditorium.
I’m also eager to tell you more about the important preparation for this new academic year:
- Our increasingly sustainable, brown-is-the-new-green campus greets everyone with the completion of the gorgeous Mid-Quad dorm renovations and expansions, the stunning progress on the Roberts Pavilion, and much more.
- We continue to infuse strategic value into our programs with the first nine curriculum-enhancing grants stemming from Mellon Roundtables on creativity, empathy, and courage; enhancements of the Robert Day Scholars program, new funding in support of Ashoka U Changemaker Campus student programs, and many other initiatives.
- We are very close to reaching our initial $100m fundraising goal for financial aid and scholarships under The Student Imperative, and we surpassed each of our annual fundraising goals last year.
- The collaboration of our RAs and ASCMC leadership and our Personal and Social Responsibility Strategy group finalized a strategic framework for high-risk alcohol and drug use with an emphasis on responsible moderation.
- We look forward to an engaging year of special events, including our second ImpactCMC weekend, several academic conferences on religious liberty, political polarization, public art, and other important issues, and a remarkable lineup for the Athenaeum that includes Michael McConnell, Nina Tandon, Wajahat Ali, Elaine Ostrander, David Sedaris, and many more.
Thank you for everything you have done to contribute to our accomplishments and exciting plans for the future. I wish you all a terrific start to the school year.
All the very best,