What is a Career Chat?
Career chats are one-hour experiential learning opportunities that allow CMC students to gain an insider’s view into a specific role within an industry and career path. As part of a larger group of students, you will be able to learn first-hand about individual career paths, hosted by an alumnus/a or parent, and begin to understand the skills and attributes necessary to succeed in a particular field. You do not have to have previous experience in the career field to participate in a career chat. In fact, this experience is meant to be a chance to explore new careers and practice your networking skills.
Does it cost anything to participate?
- This virtual program does not have any specific costs associated with it.
Why should I attend a career chat?
- Explore the career field of your choice.
- Build mentoring relationships with professionals and develop a professional network.
- Get a “head start” in marketing yourself for internship and full-time job opportunities.
- Clarify career goals, confirm career decisions and discover how to apply what you learn in the classroom to the workplace.
How do I participate?
Details of all career chats can be found in Handshake events.
Preparing for the Career Chat
1. Before your career chat
- Register for the event on Handshake.
- Research the speaker and their career history (prepare some questions to ask).
2. Day of the career chat
- Be on time!
- Be prepared, professional and engaged.
- Ask plenty of questions!
3. After your career chat
- Send a personalized thank you email to the speaker.
- Connect with the speaker on LinkedIn.