Wendy Lower, Ph.D.
Areas of Expertise
Selected Research and Publications
Books: Nazi Empire-Building and the Holocaust in Ukraine, Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press and USHMM, 2005 (paperback, 2007, audio version 2010)
The Shoah in Ukraine: History, Testimony, Memorialization , Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2008 (co-edited with Ray Brandon)
The Diary of Samuel Golfard and the Holocaust in Eastern Galicia, Lanham MD: Altamira/Rowman and Littlefield and USHMM, 2011
Hitler's Furies: German Women in the Nazi Killing Fields, Houghton Mifflin, 2013
Selected, Recent Articles: Pogroms, Mob Violence and Genocide in Western Ukraine, Summer 1941: Varied Histories, Explanations and Comparisons Journal of Genocide Research (Sept 2011): 1-30
Male and Female Holocaust Perpetrators and the East German Approach to Justice, 1949-1963 Holocaust and Genocide Studies 24, no. 1 (Spring 2010): 56-84.
Selected Awards and Affiliations
- Research grants from the German Historical Institute, Washington DC, the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum, and the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (German National Research Foundation)
- Research Associate, Ludwig Maximilians Universität München, Germany
- Project Director (Germany), German Witnesses to War and its Aftermath, Oral History Department, U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum, Washington, D.C. USA
- International Advisory Board, Journal of Genocide Research (Routledge)
- Einspruch Lecturer, Ackerman Center for Holocaust Studies, University of Texas at Dallas
- Annual Holocaust Memorial Lecturer 2013, University of Glasgow, additional keynotes at University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, University of Utah, and the Hamburg Institute for Social Research
- Baker Burton Award, Best First Book in European History, Southern Historical Association, 2007
Wendy Lower, Ph.D.
John K. Roth Professor of History and George R. Roberts FellowEducation: B.A. (1987) Hamilton College, Clinton NY Ph.D. (1999) American University, Washington DCDepartment(s): HistoryOffice Hours: Tuesday, 10:00AM - 12:00PMTuesday, 04:00PM - 06:30PMThursday, 10:00AM - 12:00PMThursday, 04:00PM - 06:30PMEmail: firstname.lastname@example.orgPhone: (909) 607-4688Fax: (909) 621-8419Address: Kravis Center 218Curriculum Vitae: LowerWFall2012.pdf
For more information, please contact the Claremont McKenna College Public Affairs Office at (909) 621-8099