Diversity and Equity Campus Climate Survey
Conducted by the Higher Education Data Sharing Consortium
The Claremont McKenna College (CMC) Diversity Committee administered the HEDS Diversity and Equity Campus Climate Survey to all students, faculty, and staff from February 18, 2022 – March 11, 2022. This was the first comprehensive instrument sent to the entire community and the overall response rate was 53%. The presentation of CMC’s survey results is organized around the themes:
- CMC student, faculty, and staff survey respondents comprise a variety of demographic characteristics
- CMC student, faculty, and staff survey respondents have varying perceptions and experiences with campus climate
- The diversity and equity interactions within the CMC community, particularly with regard to hearing disparaging remarks, varies by demographic group
- There is a direct relationship between survey respondents self-reported experiences of harassment and discrimination and satisfaction with campus climate
- The level of understanding of and experience with institutional support for diversity and equity varies by survey respondent role
Survey Materials and Other Resources
CMC HEDS Survey Working Group
Nyree Gray, VP for Human Resources and Chief Diversity Officer
Sue Layden, Senior Associate Dean of Students for Student Success
Muriel Poston, VP for Strategic Initiatives
Anna Wenzel, Chair, CMC Diversity Committee
Colleen Wynn, Assistant Vice President of Institutional Research
The survey asks many demographic questions to develop a better sense of an institution’s diversity. Responses are anonymous. HEDS excludes personal information, including name, email address, student or employee identification number, and IP address, from the data. HEDS also removes some variables and/or combines response options into broader categories to maintain the anonymity of respondents. HEDS will review open-ended text responses and remove the names of anyone who identifies themselves or is accused of discrimination and/or harassment and send the reviewed open-ended text responses in a separate file. The data file that HEDS will return to CMC will not include any institution-provided personal information such as race/ethnicity, gender, academic classification, employee type, or campus ID number.
All questions are optional and any can be left blank. The list of names/emails for invitations are completely separate from the responses through use of the Qualtrics anonymizer feature. Both HEDS and CMC take ethics in research incredibly seriously. Additional information is provided on the following survey information sheet. If you have any additional questions regarding anonymity, data security, or IRB, please do not hesitate to reach out to Colleen Wynn, Director of Institutional Research, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (909) 621-8650.
- HEDS secures your survey data and participant information by:
- Using Qualtrics, a survey engine, to protect and store your participant information and responses securely. Qualtrics protects their servers with firewalls, security scans, and nightly data backups. Qualtrics' security statement is available at: http://www.qualtrics.com/security-statement/.
- Storing your participant information and survey results downloaded from Qualtrics on Box in a folder that only HEDS staff members can access. Box is a password-protected, encrypted, secure file storage system. See more information about Box’s privacy and security at: https://www.box.com/business/enterprise-security/.
- Using end-to-end encryption via SendSafely to securely transfer files between HEDS and your institution. See more information at: https://www.sendsafely.com/security/.
- Using TunnelBear as a virtual private network (VPN) to secure our online tasks when we work remotely. Learn more about how TunnelBear secures internet browsing here: https://www.tunnelbear.com/blog/stronger-encryption/.
- Deleting all materials with invited participants’ personal information from Box and the HEDS Qualtrics account sixty days after all final reports and data files have been delivered, and HEDS has confirmed that CMC IR has received them.
- HEDS will not share any personally identifiable information with any outside individuals or entities.