- Calmly alert people in the area of the fire and activate the nearest fire alarm.
- Do not try to retrieve items in another area of the building.
- Evacuate the building using the stairs. Do not use elevators!
- Close as many doors behind you as possible. Before opening, touch doors with the back of your hand to see if they are hot. Do not open hot doors.
- Report to the building’s designated evacuation area and wait for further instructions.
- Call Campus Safety at 909-607-2000 or 911 when in a safe location.
If trapped in a building:
- Close all windows and doors.
- Wet and place cloth material around and under door to prevent smoke from entering.
- Call Campus Safety at 909-607-2000 for help and tell them your location.
- Hang a towel or cloth out of the window and open blinds to alert emergency personnel of your location.
To be prepared, you should know the nearest exits and the evacuation site for each building you visit frequently.
- When you hear a bullhorn or fire alarm, immediately stop what you are doing and exit the building.
- While leaving, take note of any hazards and any remaining occupants.
- If requested, assist anyone who appears to need direction or assistance, and if it is safe to do so.
- Take with you ONLY essential personal items (wallet, keys, etc.) but only if you have time and it is safe to do so.
- Shut all doors behind you but do not lock. Closed doors can slow the spread of fire, smoke and water.
- Once outside, proceed directly to the building evacuation area (see the CMC evacuation map).
- Do not leave the evacuation site unless directed to do so by emergency personnel or CMC emergency personnel.
- Check in with your Building Safety Coordinator (BSC) or Residence Life staff so you can be accounted for. Report any missing or trapped persons to the BSC or emergency personnel immediately.
- Do not leave campus without reporting to your BSC or Res. Life staff. Others may be looking for you.
The main location for an ON-CAMPUS evacuation is the assembly area located at Biszantz Family Tennis Courts (Area 51 on the CMC campus map).
If an OFF-CAMPUS evacuation becomes necessary, you will be notified via the campus alert system with directions to convene at alternate assembly areas. These locations may change due to the variety and unknown conditions of each emergency. Please pay attention to emergency alerts for updated information.