Passport Issues

Where to apply for a passport
What to bring with you to obtain a passport
Visa Information

VALID PASSPORTS ARE REQUIRED. In accordance with international consular practice, all passports must be valid for a minimum of six months beyond your return date to the U.S.

Passport: If you do not have a passport, you must apply for one immediately. The regular processing of a passport may take several weeks to a few months and you must have a valid passport before you can apply for a visa. US passports may be obtained through selected central US post offices, county courts, and U.S. Government Passport Agencies. Following are the closest locations to CMC:

A. Hughes Community Center
1700 Danbury Road
(909) 399-5490

San Dimas Post Office
300 E. Bonita Avenue
(909) 599-0651 appointment required

U.S. Passport Agency
Federal Building
11000 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 1000
Los Angeles, CA 90024
(310) 575-5700 or (800) 688-9889

Ontario Post Office
155 E. Holt Avenue
(909) 933-3837

La Verne City Hall
Office of the City Clerk
3660 D Street
(909) 596-8726

Claremont Post Office
140 N. Harvard Avenue
by appointment only
(909) 625-7161

La Verne Post Office
3555 N. White Avenue

Upland City Clerk
460 N. Euclid Avenue
by appointment only

Upland Post Office
333 E. Arrow Highway

Montclair Post Office
5186 Benito Street
(909) 624-5438

U.S. Passport Agency Office
Federal Building
11000 Wilshire Blvd., Room 13100
Los Angeles, CA 90024

Telephone (310) 575-5700 (24 hour recording)
(800) 688-9889 for public inquiries
Office hours are 9 AM to 4 PM, Monday through Friday.

Please note most facilities require an appointment. Also, be aware that some cities impose a city fee for obtaining a passport. Call (800) 275-8777 for appointment/hours at any post office. Information on obtaining a passport is available at

Back to top

You will need to bring:

  • Completed application
-First time passport application:
To print out an application:
-For renewals:
To print out an application:
  • Proof of U.S. Citizenship
-Previous U.S. passport
-Certified Birth Certificate
-Consular Report of Birth Abroad/Birth Certificate
-Naturalization Certificate
-Certificate of Citizenship
  • two identical passport-size photos
  • proof of identity with your signature and photo or physical description:
-Previous U.S. passport
-Naturalization Certificate
-Certificate of Citizenship
-Current valid Drivers License
-Government ID: City, State or Federal
-Military ID
  • check or money order for $135.00 (new) or $110.00 (renewal)
  • Provide your Social Security Number

Passport photos must meet certain federal standards with regard to size, quality, and angle of the picture. Some places where photos are available:

TCCS Connection at the South Lounge at Honnold-Mudd Library: 909-607-2273
As of February 2019, cost is $11.95 for two 2x2 inch photos; $2 for each additional photo
Claremont Photo & Video (corner Harvard & Bonita) (909) 625-4342 241 Harvard
Claremont Camera (Sprouts Shopping Center), (909) 626-2219, 863 W. Foothill Blvd.
Photo Pronto (Albertson's Shopping Center), (909) 593-1189, 3168 N. Garey Avenue
Walgreens, (909) 985-5391, 1241 W. Foothill Blvd., Upland
Walmart, (909) 931-9141, 1540 W. Foothill Blvd, Upland

Remember: Your passport is the most important document you have when outside your home country. Know where it is at all times. Keep it in a safe place. Photocopy the front pages of your passport and keep them separate from your baggage, and give one copy to your family at home. Once in a foreign country, keep these copies in a safe place. This will facilitate replacement if your passport is lost or stolen. If you lose your passport while abroad, you must notify the U.S. Consulate or Embassy (or home country Consulate or Embassy if you're not a US citizen), and the local police as soon as possible.

Passport & Visa Service Companies which will assist with the expedited receipt of passports and visas for a fee:

Back to top

Visas: A visa is a stamped notarization in a passport authorizing entry to a foreign country for a stated purpose and a stated period of time. Visa requirements vary widely from country to country and may change frequently. It is important to have early contact with the consulate to receive visa requirements, so you can work on obtaining the required paperwork before you need it. Your program sponsor will send you up-to-date information on obtaining a visa for your country. Student visa requirements may be different from tourist visa requirements, so check with the appropriate consulate or embassy to see what will be required for the country in which you will be studying. Information is available on the U.S. State Department website at If you must send in your passport with your visa application, be sure to send it by certified return receipt mail, along with the appropriate prepaid forms for return certified mail.

Visa procedures and customs requirements are different for students who hold non-US passports. You must inquire directly at the consulate to learn which rules apply to you and what documents you will need.

To locate an Embassy or Consulate for your host country go to:

Because each consulate has varying requirements that change periodically, and because consulates prefer to work directly with visa applicants, we cannot obtain your visa for you. You must contact the consulate in the jurisdiction of your permanent residence in order to verify requirements and any specific guidelines for the application process.

Immunizations: A country may require International Certificates of Vaccination against yellow fever. A few countries still require a cholera immunization as well. Check with your health care provider or your own records to ensure other immunizations (such as tetanus and polio) are up to date. Prophylactic medication for malaria and certain other preventive measures are advisable for some destinations. Some countries have recently established regulations regarding AIDS testing, particularly for long-term visitors. No immunizations are required to return to the U.S. Specific requirements are available from the consulate or embassy of the country(ies) you are planning to visit. For additional information, please refer to:

Back to top