Beyond Academic Promise
CMC actively recruits a diverse group of students from around the world. In the application process it is important to provide information that helps us understand your personal background as well as your academic preparation. As a selective college we are interested in knowing who you are, what is important to you, and what you have accomplished outside of the classroom. Your essay, extracurricular activities, short answer response, interview, and/or video response are perfect opportunities to highlight these aspects and show us how you can contribute to and benefit from the CMC community and mission.
Interviews are not required for most students but they are highly recommended for all students. Interviews for CMC are evaluative and are a part of your application. The interview allows you to tell us more about your personal background, as well as your accomplishments, talents, and goals. Prospective students will interview with a member of the CMC community (Admission Officer, Senior Interviewer, or Alumni), which also provides a valuable opportunity to understand the student experience and community.
There are several options for participating in an interview for international applicants. Please choose one of the following:
- Online or On-Campus Interviews are conducted with members of the admission office either in the CMC Admission Office or via Zoom.
- Alumni Interviews are conducted with CMC alumni volunteers across the globe. Alumni interviews take place between September and December.
- Initialview with timed writing sample is an unscripted, unbiased, and taped interview. A recording will be added to your application and viewed during the application review process. This option is available to all students. If the cost of an Initialview interview is prohibitive for your family, please contact the admission office at email@example.com for a fee waiver.
Applicants from China – all Chinese citizens that attend any school in China are required to submit an Initialview interview with the writing sample. If the cost of participating in an Initialview interview will place an undue hardship on your family please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a fee waiver.
Optional Video Response
Online interviews will be offered in summer and fall 2020. More information will be provided in early summer. Please continue to check cmc.edu/admission/visit and join our mailing list to receive the most updated information.
After submitting your application, you will receive instructions by email from the CMC Office of Admission on how to submit an optional two-minute video. Similar to interviews, the optional video response gives you an opportunity to tell us more about yourself beyond the information you provided in your application. The most compelling video responses have a genuine voice and highlight your thoughtfulness and authenticity.
While the video response is not required, if you were unable to schedule an interview, the video response is a great opportunity for you to tell us about yourself beyond what you provided in your application.
Video response prompts:
1. Claremont McKenna College is a special community because it is composed of talented people who individually and collectively contribute to improving the life of the College. How do you hope to contribute to the CMC community?
2. The Marian Miner Cook Athenaeum represents the intellectual mantelpiece of the Claremont McKenna College community, bringing students, faculty, and staff closer together through active engagement and discussion on a daily basis. Knowing that diversity of thought and respectful dialogue are vital elements to the Athenaeum’s mission, who is someone you would want to hear speak at the Athenaeum in order to better understand a diverse perspective or experience from that of your own?
3. Developing a personal narrative is key to understand one’s own values and unique voice. Instances of personal adversity are key markers when determining an individual’s character, resoluteness, and sources of inspiration. When was the last time you were moved to great emotion and how did you positively respond from that moment in time?
4. People support each other and their communities in various ways. How do you support those around you and how has this shaped your unique perspective?