Transfer Student FAQ

1) How many credits do I need in order to transfer to CMC?

Any student who has taken college courses after finishing high school is considered a transfer applicant. There is no minimum number of units required to transfer to CMC. However, transfer students may not transfer in more than 16 CMC units. You need to complete at least 16 CMC units, half of the total required for graduation, at CMC in order to receive a diploma. Sixteen CMC units are the equivalent of 64 semester units/hours or 96 quarter units/hours. Please also note that the lowest math course offered on our campus is calculus and it is a graduation requirement.

2) How will my credits transfer?

Each course at CMC is equivalent to 4 semester units or 6 quarter units and students need to have completed 32 courses in order to graduate. There are general education requirements that must be completed as well as specific requirements for the major.

In order for a course to transfer to CMC from another college there must be an equivalent course offered at CMC or one of the other Claremont Colleges. Courses with grades of C- and below will not be transferable. When talking to an admission officer or the registrar, be sure to ask about credit you received at your current college for AP or IB tests. The policy for accepting these scores may be different at CMC.

CMC does not accept CLEP credits, on-line or web based courses, or distance learning courses. There may be additional restrictions on other non-traditional courses or courses taken in a non-traditional setting (such as military service). Please consult the registrar regarding the specifics of your situation.

For more information you may contact the following people:

When coming for an interview appointment (encouraged but not required), please bring a copy of your transcript. You should also keep all your course syllabi and descriptions in case there is a need for additional information.

3) How and when do I apply for financial aid?

Students applying for financial aid must submit the Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the College Scholarship Service PROFILE forms no later than April 1 for the academic year beginning in the fall. Applicants for mid-year transfer may use the FAFSA and PROFILE forms they submitted for the current year. If the PROFILE was not required for the college the student currently attends, it must be filed as soon as possible. Students not currently receiving financial aid who wish to apply for aid at CMC must file both forms as soon as possible.

FAFSA forms are available on-line at or from any college financial aid office. Profile forms are available on-line at or may be obtained by calling the financial aid office directly at (909) 621-8356. Financial aid questions may also be referred to (909) 621-8356 or submitted on-line to

4) Do I have to submit SAT or ACT test results?

All students need to submit SAT or ACT scores if transferring from a four-year college or university. Students who are transferring from a two-year community college and did not have to take the test for admission to the community college are not required to take it for admission to CMC.

5) What about housing?

Housing is not guaranteed for transfer students. However, CMC has had a record in recent years of being able to house all transfer students on campus who have made the request. Once students are housed on campus they are guaranteed on-campus housing for the rest of their time at CMC.

6) Could I live off campus instead of in the residence halls?

Since housing is not guaranteed, transfer students may find off campus housing if they wish. Please note, however, CMC is a residentially oriented campus and students who only come to campus to attend class will miss out on a large part of campus life. CMC is also looking for students who seek to be a part of the campus community beyond just the classroom. Students who choose to live off campus are strongly encouraged to find housing close to campus.

7) How many students apply to transfer and how many get in?

Application Year

Number applied

Number admitted

Fall 2015



Spring 2015



Fall 2014



Spring 2014



Fall 2013



Spring 2013



8) What grade point average do you look for in a transfer student?

A student's grade point average (GPA) is evaluated within the context of the institution that the student attends and the rigor of the curriculum that student has taken. A student should have at least a 3.3 GPA to receive serious consideration. Most successful applicants to CMC have earned a 3.5 or higher. We prefer to see students who have been enrolled full time, unless there are extenuating circumstances, and have no unexplained withdrawals on the transcript.

Keep in mind CMC is considering more than just the GPA. CMC seeks students who are active in the extra-curricular life at their current campus because they are more likely to make contributions to campus life here. The admission office also reviews recommendations from faculty and essays written by the student as part of the process.

9) Will my present college GPA transfer into CMC?

The grades you earned at your other institution(s) will always be present on your transcript. However, your grades from other institution(s) will not be figured into your CMC grade point average.

10) What emphasis is placed on my high school record?

The question is best answered on an individual basis. In general terms, more emphasis is placed on the college record. However, individual circumstances may determine how the admission committee regards the high school transcript.

If the applicant had an excellent record in high school, then there is no need to be concerned. Some transfer applicants to CMC have had poor high school records, but in college have earned excellent grades. These students should not be discouraged from applying to CMC. However, students who did not have a strong high school record may need to spend more time at another college establishing a pattern of strong academic performance than students who had strong high school records.

11) Is an interview required?

No. An interview is not required, but it is strongly recommended if you are going to be in the area. An interview is helpful to both the admission officer who will want to know why you are choosing to leave your current institution, as well as the applicant who may request a preliminary transcript evaluation as part of the interview. To schedule an interview, click here.

12) What are the application deadlines?

To apply for Fall admission (August enrollment) the postmark deadline is April 1. To apply for Spring (January enrollment) admission the postmark deadline is November 1. See the complete list of deadlines for transfer students.