New Student Academic Resources

New Student Registration

First-Year Students

New first-years enrolling at CMC in the fall semester register for classes for the first time at the conclusion of new student orientation before fall classes start, typically in mid-to-late August. The registrar's office sends new first-years registration instructions in early August. All communication is sent to students' CMC email accounts.

Transfer Students

The registrar will review the transcripts of all incoming fall transfer students during the summer and automatically enroll them in a slate of classes. This typically takes place in July. Transfer students are free to modify their schedule once the registrar has created it. Transfer students may also meet individually with a member of the registrar's office staff once they have been registered in classes. Reviews for incoming spring transfer students typically take place in January before spring classes begin.

Mathematics Placement

You can use these guidelines to determine which level of mathematics you should take.

  1. If you have never taken calculus before, you should take Calculus I (MATH030).
  2. If you have taken calculus, but don't yet have a firm understanding of limits and derivatives, take Calculus IIA (MATH031A CM) if it is offered.
    1. If Calculus IIA (MATH031A CM) is not offered, take Calculus II (MATH031).
  3. If you have a firm understanding of limits and derivatives, but don't yet firmly understand integration, sequences, and series, take Calculus II (MATH031).
  4. If you firmly understand limits, derivatives, integration, sequences, and series, take Calculus III (MATH032) or Linear Algebra (MATH060).


  • MATH030, MATH031, and MATH032 are offered at the other Claremont Colleges, and you may take calculus at any of the Claremont College for the Math/CS general education requirement without special permission.
  • Calculus III (MATH032) and Linear Algebra (MATH060) can be taken in either order or concurrently.
  • You may begin with a less advanced calculus course that what the guidelines suggest; a review with a new perspective is always good!
  • Here is a flowchart summarizing the guidelines above.

Transfer Credit and First-Year Students

Students admitted to CMC as first-year (“freshmen”) degree seekers are encouraged to request transfer credit for college work they have taken prior to matriculating to CMC. We accept up to 4 CMC courses (16 semester units or 24 quarter units) of such college credit. In addition, students may transfer a maximum of 4 units for Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) exams. Students can satisfy up to 4 general education requirements through off-campus programs (transfer credit, AP/IB, study abroad, etc.).
Students with pre-matriculation coursework must provide the registrar’s office with written documentation from their high school stating that the courses were not required to meet any requirement for high school graduation, and from the transferring college or university that the courses comply with CMC’s transfer credit policies.

Where should I take courses before matriculating?

You should look for courses offered at regionally accredited institutions, taught in a context and environment that provides direct contact with regular college faculty and other degree-seeking college students. At a minimum, the courses must apply toward the Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) granted by the college or university where they are taken.

What courses are transferrable to CMC?

The courses you take must be comparable to undergraduate liberal arts courses offered at The Claremont Colleges during the academic year to transfer to CMC. Our transfer credit policies in the catalog describe what types of courses are transferrable.

What course disciplines should I avoid?

Look for courses in traditional liberal arts disciplines. Specific areas to avoid include marketing, management, human resources, business administration, cooking, fashion, education, nutrition, kinesiology, real estate, or other vocational topics.

Can I transfer in courses for general education or major requirements?

We understand that you may want to get a head start on your required courses, but you should expect to complete your GE and major courses while enrolled at CMC. Pre-matriculation credit is typically elective credit toward graduation.

Can I transfer in courses I took while in high school?

CMC draws a bright line between high school and college coursework. Running-start and dual-enrollment courses are not transferable to CMC, nor is any college coursework that qualifies toward a student’s high school curriculum. CMC requires documentation from the student’s high school that verifies the courses were not required to meet any requirements for high school graduation, and from the college/university that that verifies the courses meet CMC’s transfer credit requirements.

How much credit will I receive for a course?

CMC uses a standard conversion ratio to convert semester and quarter credits/hours to CMC course units. One CMC course unit is the equivalent of 4 semester units or 6 quarter units.

Can I receive credit for my Advanced Placement/International Baccalaureate tests?

CMC gives credit for some AP/IB test scores, and placement for others. Some AP/IB scores receive neither credit nor placement. Please see CMC’s AP/IB policy in the catalog for more information.

Useful Links