Need-Based Awards

Claremont McKenna College scholarships are derived from gifts and endowments given to CMC by individuals or organizations for scholarship purposes. Special applications are not necessary for these funds.

  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG): The FSEOG is a need-based federal grant available to students with the most exceptional financial need who have not already received a bachelor’s degree. Preference is given to Federal Pell Grant recipients who apply for financial aid by Claremont McKenna’s published deadlines. Funds are limited and the annual maximum FSEOG award is $1,000.

  • Federal Pell Grants: This program provides need-based federal grants to students based on their family contribution, as determined by the federal government. Recipients must not have already received a bachelor’s degree. Grant amounts vary. During the 2019-2020 academic year, the annual award amounts range from $657 to $6,195. There is a limit to the total amount of Pell Grants that a student may receive.

The California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) awards Cal Grants on the basis of academic achievement and financial need. CMC requires all students who are California residents seeking financial assistance to apply for a Cal Grant. To be considered for a Cal Grant, you must submit a GPA Verification Form that has been certified by a high school or college official no later than March 2 to CSAC. Forms may be obtained at your high school or college.

  • Cal Grant A is awarded to needy undergraduate students for use at an approved California college or university. It is renewable for four years.

  • Cal Grant B is awarded to students from economically disadvantaged backgrounds

Other California Student Aid Commission Awards

California residents should also consider applying for other awards offered by the California Student Aid Commission.

States such as:

  • Alaska
  • Delaware
  • District of Columbia
  • Maryland
  • Pennsylvania
  • Rhode Island
  • Vermont
  • Territories of Guam and the Pacific Islands

Students are strongly encouraged to explore their eligibility for state grants. Please contact your individual state grant agency for more information. A list of addresses and phone numbers of state agencies can be obtained from the U.S. Department of Education.

A combination of loans and work is expected to help pay for your education during the year. This is classified under the heading of "self-help" by most universities and colleges.

  • Federal Work-Study enables students to earn part of their financial aid award through part-time employment. It is a federally funded program that provides you with an opportunity to gain valuable work experience through part-time employment while attending CMC. To learn more, visit the Federal Work-Study section of our site.

  • CMC student employment is funded by the College and is available to all students regardless of financial need.