Student's Guide

The purpose of this program is to provide students with part-time employment opportunities for those who have been awarded work-study funding. There are a variety of reasons students may have the desire to work: to help finance their education, to cover personal expenses, to gain valuable and satisfying work experience and to develop time management, research, library, computer, or communication skills. A portion of the student wages are paid from the work-study program funds and a portion by Claremont McKenna College. The Office of Financial Aid places accountability upon both the student and the work-study supervisor for participation in the program.

In addition to the determination of financial aid need and the availability of Federal Work-Study funding, students must also:

  • Be a U.S. citizen, noncitizen national; lawful permanent resident, or authorized alien.

  • Be enrolled, or accepted for enrollment at CMC, and be in regular attendance in an undergraduate degree program.

  • Require earnings from Federal Work-Study employment to help finance a degree at CMC.

  • Maintain satisfactory progress in coursework while participating in the program.

  • Not owe a refund on a federal or state educational grant.

  • Not be in default on a federal or state educational loan.

  • Comply with Selective Service Registration requirements.

Many students hear about job opportunities from other students, however, students may also check the Career Services Center homepage or Handshake. Log in using your user name and password for information on both on and off-campus positions available. We currently have participation from departments, offices, and institutes that are interested in hiring students for the academic year. These positions include research assistant, library assistant, games manager, tutor, food server, cashier, mailroom clerk, just to name a few.

Accepting a job involves commitment. Students are expected to be reliable and considerate to the employer, and not permitted to engage in reading, homework, or other personal work during the hours of employment, unless approved by the supervisor. Students are responsible for maintaining their school work and not letting their job interfere with their educational goals. Once a position has been accepted, the student becomes a representative of Claremont McKenna College.

For both first-time and returning FWS students: You may not start working until the Payroll Office has received the appropriate documents. It is your responsibility to complete and submit all required forms.

I-9 Form

The Immigration and Reform Act of 1986 requires each employee to provide documentation that verifies the employee's identity and eligibility to work. You must fill out Section 1 on your I-9 form and bring the required documents to the Payroll Office. The documents must be originals and are required by law in order to employ anyone in the United States. WORKING BEFORE THE I-9 IS COMPLETE AND ON FILE IN THE PAYROLL OFFICE WILL RESULT IN NONPAYMENT.

W-4 Form & DE4 Form

Students must complete a W-4 & DE4 form before employment. Federal Work-Study earnings are taxable income and subject to federal and state taxes. However, students may claim exempt status if eligible. Students are exempt from FICA taxes (ex: Social Security, State Disability and Medicare). All students must have a valid Social Security number.

Complete a New Hire Packet
  • I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification

  • W-4, Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate

  • DE4 State of California Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate

Have your department supervisor complete a Personnel Action Form (PAF). This form must be submitted to the Payroll Office at least 24 hours before the start date of employment.

Return the "New Hire" paperwork and PAF to the Payroll Office.

Have your department supervisor complete a Personnel Action Form (PAF). This form must be submitted to the Payroll Office at least 24 hours before the start date of employment.

All student hours worked must be approved and submitted online at the end of each pay period in order for a student to be paid.

A student may not work more than five hours without taking at least a half-hour lunch break. This is to be noted on the online time sheet. No student may work more than eight hours in one day or more than 20 hours in one week. A student cannot work more than six consecutive days. There can be no overtime work or pay for legal holidays.

California's minimum wage is currently $14 an hour.

More questions? Please read our FAQs for students.