Who is required to have health insurance?
- All CMC students are required to have health insurance and are automatically enrolled in The Claremont Colleges’ Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP).
- International students are required to enroll in the Claremont Colleges’ Student Health Insurance Plan.
- Domestic students may waive enrollment by providing proof of personal coverage.
What is the Claremont Colleges’ Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)?
- SHIP is a health insurance plan designed for students enrolled at The Claremont Colleges.
- The SHIP insurance carrier is Aetna EPO (Exclusive Provider Organization), a nationally recognized insurance company.
I am an international student; can I waive the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)?
- International students are required to have the SHIP coverage. International students who can prove coverage by a domestic insurer who pays claims in the US. under a policy that meets the other waiver requirements may contact Lyn Hughes in the Dean of Students Office to request a waiver.
I am a domestic student; can I waive the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)?
- Domestic Students who wish to waive out of the Student Health Insurance Plan must complete the waiver process each academic year. This year’s deadline is August 30, 2022. After August 30, those who have not waived out of the Student Health Insurance Plan will have that fee billed to their student account. To submit a waiver request, please visit the SHIP Insurance Verification Portal
How often do I have to complete the waiver process?
- Students who wish to waive out of SHIP must complete the waiver process each academic year.
How much is the 2022-2023 Student Health Insurance Plan Premium and how long am I covered for?
|08/01/23 – 07/31/24
* Please Note, students are enrolled in annual coverage unless otherwise requested. To enroll in a shorter coverage term, please contact Lyn Hughes.
The premium will be charged to your Student Account.
If I am covered by SHIP, will I still be able to see my doctors back home?
Yes, but the amount covered for services by an Aetna "in-network provider and an "out-of-network" provider can be significant and it is always a good idea to make sure your healthcare provider is part of the Aetna Student Health/SHIP network. To check whether a provider is listed as an “in-network” provider, please call Aetna Student Health customer service at 1-877-480-4161 or visit the Aetna Student Health website.
Can I use Student Health Services (SHS) or Monsour Counseling Services if I am enrolled in SHIP?
- Regardless of insurance, all Claremont McKenna College students have access to The Claremont Colleges’ Student Health Services (SHS) as well as Monsour Counseling and Psychological Services (MCAPS)
- Services at MCAPS are free.
- Appointments scheduled in advance at SHS are free; however, fees may be charged for services depending upon the type of treatment.
- Students are responsible for submitting medical claims to their insurance company directly (including students enrolled in SHIP). Student Health Services does not bill your insurance company, any charges will be added to your student account.
Do I need insurance while I’m studying abroad/off-campus?
While you are required to have health insurance while participating in off-campus study, those who would typically enroll in Aetna SHIP while on campus are not required to choose SHIP as their off-campus study insurance. When you return from off-campus study, please either complete the insurance waiver on your student portal or contact the Dean of Students office to enroll in Aetna SHIP.
How much can I expect to pay for the following services?
As long as the provider is preferred (in-network), you can typically expect to pay the following for routine services:
- Urgent care visit: $20 co-pay
- Emergency room visit: $200 co-pay (waived if admitted)
- Prescription: $20 generic/$40 formulary brand/$60 non-formulary brand
- Ambulance Service: $200 co-pay then 100% of the balance is paid by SHIP
A full list of benefits is available on the Aetna SHIP website. *Be sure to double check that you are receiving care that is preferred/in-network by calling Aetna at 877-480-4161. Otherwise your services may not be covered by your insurance.
What is a deductible?
A deductible is a set amount of money you must pay for services before your health insurance will begin paying claims. For Aetna SHIP, that deductible is $500.00. Many services will apply to your deductible, such as x-rays, MRIs or surgeries. These services are different from routine and preventive care, which typically will have a set co-pay (see common rates above). For example, if you have a $1200 procedure, you will be responsible for $500. Your insurance will then look at the remaining $700 and determine coverage (see benefit details for covered services). You have now met your yearly deductible and your insurance should cover the majority of future preferred services.
Exceptions to the deductible requirement:
- If you are referred by Student Health Services to an off-campus, preferred provider
- Student Health Services is closed and you see an off-campus, preferred provider
- If you receive off-campus, preferred mental health services (therapy or psychiatry) and complete the deductible waiver through MCAPS
2022–2023 coverage dates and Premium Information for The Claremont Colleges Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP), administered by Aetna: