What to Bring
As you decide what to pack, keep in mind that you will likely be sharing a room with another person. You may want to talk with your new roommate before purchasing large items which you might be able to share, such as a stereo.
All residence hall rooms have a bed (an extra long twin, 38"x80"), mattress, pillow, dresser, desk with small bookshelf, chair, MicroFridge (a small fridge/freezer with a microwave attached), recycle trash can, and waste basket. Students are not allowed air-conditioning units, hot plates, sun lamps, coffee makers, or electrical cooking equipment. Please see the Guide to Student Life for more detailed residence hall policies.
You may find the list below useful to make sure you don’t forget anything. A printable PDF version is available here. Remember, large items can be shipped and many stores are within a short distance from the College. It may be useful to bring a cart or dolly to move items into your residence hall room. Limited dollies/carts are available during orientation, at no charge, through the mailroom at Story House.
For a list of stores in the area, view the Shopping Guide.
For information on computer and software suggestions, view Computing at CMC.
For the Desk
- Computer (Review CMC's recommendations.)
- Desk chair (basic ones are provided)
- 20-foot ethernet cable and card (only needed for desktop computers; wi-fi is available for laptops)
- Desk lamp (non-halogen type) and light bulbs
- Important contact information (not just on your phone!)
- Calendar or planner
- Book bag/backpack
- Stapler and staples
- Erasable message board
- 3M Command hooks
- Fun-Tak reusable adhesive
- Writing supplies – pens/pencils, paper
For the Closet
- Shoe rack
- Clothes hangers
- Laundry basket/bag
- Laundry detergent & fabric softener
- All our laundry machines use electronic cash/card
- Iron and a small board
For the Bathroom
- Personal care items (soap, shampoo, etc.)
- Hair dryer
- Contact lens supplies/spare pair of eyeglasses/sunglasses
- Bath caddy
For the Room
- Sheets (twin extra long)
- Pillows and pillowcases
- Mattress pad
- Alarm clock
- Stereo/iPod and headphones
- TV & DVD player
- Decorations/posters (Use 3M Command products for hanging items on walls and doors.)
- Free-standing shelves or storage bins
NOTE: Air conditioning units are not allowed.
- Extra batteries
- Earplugs/noise-cancelling headphones
- Surge protectors (three-prong & grounded!)
- Extension cords
- Bicycle and "U" lock / skateboard
- Umbrella / raincoat
- Credit card/checks
- Refillable water bottle
- First aid supplies
If you plan to have an on-campus job and have questions regarding employment documents, see Student Payroll Requirements or email email@example.com.