Welcome all CMC Stags and Athenas! Alumni are a tremendous resource for Career Services, and we thank you for your support and continued engagement. As an alumna/us, you can partner with us to continue to help our current students! In addition, virtually all career services that were available to you as a CMC student are now available to you as an alumna/us free of charge. Here are some of the ways in which you can partner with our office:
Ways to Provide Help
Post a Job or Internship
If you are looking to recruit CMC or Claremont College students to work for your organization, you have come to the right place. We are part of the 7-C College Recruiting Program which means that you can post a position across all of the consortium schools. To post a job you have two options: (1) You can either post the job on Handshake as an employer or (2) you can fill out the brief Alumni & Family Job and Internship Posting Form. You can also use this form if you would like to let CMC or Claremont College students know about opportunities at another organization with which you are affiliated.
Here are some additional programs we offer:
- On-Campus/Remote Interviews: You can set up times to interview Claremont students on-campus or remotely.
- Information Sessions: We offer employers the opportunity to speak with students about you and your organization. You can help students discover new career options and build a professional relationship.
- Coffee Chats: Get to know students in small groups! Meet with 2-3 students at a time and discuss your company, role, and recruiting process. Career Services can handle all of the scheduling logistics for this event.
- Attend an Industry Meet-Up or Panel: We have a number of events over the course of the year in which you can network and engage with students who are interested in employment opportunities.
For additional information on any of these programs and to schedule a date for your visit, please contact Charlene Kile.
Share your Career Insights with Students and Alumni
Joining our Engage.CMC platform is a great way to share your insights and experience with students and other alumni. When you register your CMC account, you can volunteer to help in any of the following ways:
- Answering career and industry specific questions
- Discussing graduate school
- Offering general career and life advice
- Opening doors at your workplace and to other connections
- Hosting students at your workplace (job shadowing)
- Hosting students during a networking trek to your place of work
- Being a guest speaker or panelist
- Participating in an industry meet-up
- Interviewing prospective students
If you are interested in volunteering for any of the above, please complete the Offering Help section of your Engage.CMC profile. For more information about how to register your Engage.CMC account, please refer to this useful guide.
Mentor Students and Alumni
You can volunteer to mentor students and alumni by joining our Engage.CMC platform and indicating in your profile if you would specifically like to mentor a current CMC student or a CMC young professional or both. Students and alumni who are looking for a mentor can search Engage.CMC to find their own mentor, based on shared interests and experiences at CMC as well as future career goals. You can specify the number of people you want to mentor at a time on the platform and, once connected with your mentee, you can meet via the platform or outside of it - whichever works for you! For more information about how to register your Engage.CMC account and a Mentoring FAQ, please refer to this useful guide.
Ways to Seek Help
Fellow alumni are available to talk to you about their jobs, organizations, and industries as well as offer advice about how to find work and develop your career. Conducting informational interviews can be a very helpful activity, since it provides you with both information and personal contacts. The Alumni Directory can be accessed through Engage.CMC. Once you are on the platform, you can search for individuals in a number of ways:
- Search for a specific name
- Use the Education filters to search for results by alumni who were involved in specific activities while at CMC (such as their CMC major and sequence, graduate education, involvement in athletics, sports, clubs and institutes, alumni chapters, social activities, off campus experiences, and even dorms!)
- Use the Work Experience filters to search for results by current career attributes (such as a company name, industry and profession)
Engage.CMC also offers a number of online community groups in which you can connect with other alumni who are interested in the same topics. There are groups for athletic teams and every alumni chapter and we continue to add new groups as demand arises! For more information about how to register your Engage.CMC account and explore more ways to connect on the platform, please refer to this useful guide.
We also encourage you to get involved with a variety of networking opportunities that are offered by the Alumni Relations Office and the Alumni Chapters. For more information, please visit the CMC Alumni Association Chapters page.
Job Listings for Alumni
Electronic resources are an important part of the job search process, but they are not always the most effective means of finding employment. There are large hidden job markets that are best explored through personal contacts, professional associations and relationships. If you would like help in making the most of your professional network, you may want to consider a career coaching appointment.
Individualized career coaching is a hallmark of CMC Career Services. You can simply request an appointment by sending an email to CareerServices@cmc.edu. Career coaching can be helpful in:
- Clarifying career or life goals
- Creating a personalized timeline and "game plan"
- Preparing and refining a resume, cover letter, or personal statement
- Researching and applying to graduate or professional schools
- Using networking for career exploration purposes