Welcome to Career Services @ the Soll Center for Student Opportunity! Our mission is to provide students with the knowledge, skills and resources to find meaningful opportunities for personal and professional growth, both while at CMC and after graduation. We strive to do this through individual coaching, customized programming, networking and opportunities for experiential learning.
Career Services is available to all CMC students and alumni! We are organized by "interest clusters" and students are welcome to make appointments with multiple coaches to assist in their exploration activities. Additionally, we have a robust first-year and transfer program that encourages students to understand all the many resources and tools available at Career Services and to discuss each student's individual career goals and plans while they are at college and beyond. It is never too early for students to take the initiative in preparing themselves for life after graduation.
Partner with Career Services
Parents and families are a tremendous resource for our office, and we thank you for your support and involvement. As a parent or family member, you can partner with us to continue to help our current students. Here are some of the ways in which you can partner with our office:
Post a Job or Internship
If you are looking to recruit CMC or Claremont College students to work for your organization, you have come to the right place. We are part of the 7-C College Recruiting Program which means that you can post a position across all of the consortium schools. To post a job you have two options: (1) You can either post the job on Handshake as an employer or (2) you can fill out the brief Alumni & Family Job and Internship Posting Form. You can also use this form if you would like to let CMC or Claremont College students know about opportunities at another organization with which you are affiliated.
Please note that we are able to offer Summer Internships and Experiences funding to CMC students who need financial support to accept unpaid and low paid internship opportunities!
Here are some additional programs we offer to support recruitment on campus:
- On-Campus/Remote Interviews: You can set up times to interview Claremont students on-campus or remotely.
- Information Sessions: We offer employers the opportunity to speak with students about you and your organization. You can help students discover new career options and build a professional relationship.
- Coffee Chats: Get to know students in small groups! Meet with 2-3 students at a time and discuss your company, role, and recruiting process. Career Services can handle all of the scheduling logistics for this event.
- Attend an Industry Meet-Up or Panel Discussion: We have a number of events over the course of the year in which you can network and engage with students who are interested in employment opportunities.
For additional information on any of these programs and to schedule a date for your visit, please contact Charlene Kile.
Share your Career Insights with Students
Joining our Engage.CMC platform is a great way to share your insights and experience with students. When you register your CMC account, you can volunteer to help in any of the following ways:
- Answering career and industry specific questions
- Discussing graduate school
- Offering general career and life advice
- Opening doors at your workplace and to other connections
- Hosting students during a networking trek to your place of work
- Being a guest speaker or panelist
- Participating in an industry meet-up
- Interviewing prospective students
If you interested in volunteering for any of the above, please complete the Offering Help section of your Engage.CMC profile. For more information about how to register your Engage.CMC account, please refer to this useful guide.
You can also volunteer to mentor students by joining our Engage.CMC platform and indicating in your profile if you would specifically like to mentor a current CMC student. Students who are looking for a mentor can search Engage.CMC to find their own mentor, based on shared interests and experiences as well as future career goals. You can specify on the platform the number of students you want to mentor at a time and, once connected with your mentee, you can meet via the platform or outside of it - whichever works for you! For more information about how to register your Engage.CMC account and a Mentoring FAQ, please refer to this useful guide.
Helping Your Student
We encourage you to have your student make an appointment with our office via Handshake. Additionally, please see the For Students page to help your student make the most of their experience at CMC! We have also developed presentations for recent Family Weekends, in which we share valuable information regarding important topics to discuss with your student, such as the recruitment process and timeline and the benefits of networking. If you have any questions, please reach out to Ursula Diamond.