What are Medicine, Heathcare & Biotech Careers?
Medicine, Healthcare and Biotech industries all deal with the science of healing. There are many career paths available in each industry:
- Medicine - any medical practitioner requiring an advanced or specialized degree (MD/DO, BSN, MSN, NP, PA, DMD, OD, etc.), often working in general clinical practice, pharmacological research, specialist practice (e.g., psychiatry), research, and/or teaching.
- Healthcare - any allied heath care career or helping profession, including primary (e.g., psychologist or paramedic); auxiliary (e.g., physician's assistant or pharmacist); and specialty (e.g., midwife or physical therapist) roles. Heathcare also includes alternative medicine, such as chiropractic or massage therapy. It also encompasses non-patient facing roles, such as life science and healthcare consulting, administration, case managers, social workers, etc.
- Biotech - any role that produces drugs and other products that help people and animals live healthier lives, recover from injuries, and fight illnesses. Biotech and pharmaceutical companies produce therapeutics and prophylactics, diagnostics, over-the-counter consumer products, and medical technology products.
Recent CMC graduates have started their prehealth careers in a number of roles, including as an analyst, behavioral therapist, clinical research assistant, emergency medical technician (EMT), medical scribe, or research associate. Graduates who enter the biotech field often become an account manager, associate, business analyst, billing specialist, bioengineer, project manager, or research associate.
Would you Thrive as a Medical, Healthcare or Biotech Professional?
- Do you want to make a difference in the world, helping people and animals live healthier and happier lives?
- Are you fascinated by the systems of the human body and how they interact with natural and social influences?
- Are you passionate about providing quality patient service and healthcare?
- Are you interested in conducting research to develop preventions and cures for health issues?
- Are you looking for a way to do social justice work in the areas of health disparities and illness prevention?
- Are you curious about how laboratory devices can be used to advance research goals?
- Do you want to be on the cutting edge of science and are excited by research & development?
How can you Learn More about Medicine, Healthcare & Biotech?
- Check the Medicine, Healthcare & Biotech Interest Cluster Box (located within Career Interests on the drop-down menu under your name) in Handshake to receive info about upcoming events, internships and jobs
- Search out job shadow opportunities on Handshake that will provide you with a "day in the life" experience of different careers
- Read the online Vault Guide to Allied Health Care Careers and the Vault Career Guide to Pharmaceuticals and Biotechnology
- Attend alumni, parent and employer-led Medicine, Healthcare & Biotech panels and workshops throughout the year - check Handshake events for more details
- Participate in the Medicine, Healthcare & Biotech networking trek
- Explore internships within the Keck Science Department
- Join the American Medical Student Association
- Join the CMC Psychology Club/Psi Chi
- Join the Claremont Colleges Pre-Veterinary and Animal Science Club
- Join the 5C Premed/Prehealth Club
- Join the 5C Pre-Dental Club
- Join Claremont Colleges EMS
- Join Claremont Students for Public Health
- Join the Claremont-WesternU Pre-Med Mentorship Program
- Join the Doctors Without Borders Claremont Colleges Chapter
- Explore research and clinical opportunities at Keck Graduate Institute
- Check out biotech opportunities at BioPharmGuy
- Explore Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU)
What should you know about Recruitment in Medicine, Healthcare & Biotech?
On-campus clinical opportunities are available throughout the year at Keck Science and as part of the CMC Summer Research Program. Many students also spend their summers interning in a clinical department at another university. These are all excellent ways to gain valuable practical experience prior to graduation. External employers are most likely to post internships and jobs from January - April. The majority of recruitment will take place off-campus, however some biotech companies often come to the Harvey Mudd career fair. For those interested in graduate school studies, applications for medical school are due from April - August.
Who's your Medicine, Healthcare & Biotech Career Coach?
Gary Salata - firstname.lastname@example.org
Gary works with students, employers and alumni in Medicine, Healthcare & Biotech; Science & Environment; and Consulting. Gary has extensive experience in higher education and marketing. He obtained his undergraduate degree from the University of California, San Diego and lives in Claremont.