Strategic planning is a process that seeks to clarify what an organization is, what it wants to be and how, specifically, the organization can successfully make the transition. A strategic plan provides directions and a management strategy within the context of changing internal and external environments. An Information Technology Strategic Plan sets the philosophy and direction for the use of information technology within the enterprise. This strategy must consider the industry that the enterprise is in, the competition, the directions of technology, and the role of the information technology organization in the enterprise.
In 2001, the College completed a strategic planning exercise resulting in a sub-committee report on the philosophy and direction for the use of IT at CMC. Executive Staff members of the Information Technology Services Department have updated the Information Technology Services Strategic Plan when major changes occur. Our planning approach has included these steps:
- Review of the "Claremont McKenna College Strategic Plan: A Vision for 2002-2012" (March 15, 2002).
- Review of "A STRATEGIC PLAN FOR INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY AT CLAREMONT McKENNA COLLEGE," submitted by the ad hoc IT Strategic Planning Committee, February 3, 2001.
- Consideration of new circumstances since creation of the College's 2002 Strategic Plan and the 2001 Information Technology Strategic Plan.
- Development of a mission statement for Information Technology Services (ITS) at CMC that clearly describes the role of ITS in implementation of the Information Technology Strategic Plan.
- Development of a vision for the use of information technology within the College.
- Development of planning assumptions that detail the environment in which the College currently exists.
- Development of key value statements or guiding principles that should govern the decisions and actions of the organization and are aligned with the CMC vision, mission and goals.
- Development of goals and attendant initiatives that have already been undertaken in response to the College's 2002 Strategic Plan and the 2001 Information Technology Strategic Plan up to June 2009.
- Creation of our IT Strategic Plan Tracking Report documenting our findings thus far.
- In AY2009-2010, we updated our IT Strategic Planning Tracking Report.